Why do we need smart cities?
- Urbanization is a non-ending phenomenon.
- Today, 54% of people worldwide live in cities, a proportion that’s expected to reach 66% by 2050.
- With the overall population growth, urbanization will add another 2.5 billion people to cities over the next three decades.
- Environmental, social, and economic sustainability is a must to keep pace with this rapid expansion taxing our cities’ resources.
- One hundred ninety-three countries agreed upon the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) agenda in September 2015 at the United Nations.
- But we all know how centralized decisions and actions can take time, and the clock is ticking.
- The good news?
- Citizens and local authorities are certainly more agile to launch swift initiatives, and smart city technology is paramount to success and meeting these goals.